We’re gonna need a bigger backpack

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Shinyschnapper
Shinyschnapper Regular Member • Posts: 184
We’re gonna need a bigger backpack

So it’s time for a new backpack. I currently have the Lowepro pro tactic AW 350 ii. I have just outgrown the carrying capacity of it. I mainly shoot macro and landscapes and now find myself taking the backpack plus a second bag with macro lighting gear in it (peak design 5l sling). I want to fit it all in one bag. Typical use case is a walk in the woods where I might do some landscape, telephoto, wide angle, macro (needs lighting) so I tend to carry a lot of kit to cover all those. My considerations are:

• Doesn’t need to be restricted to airplane size as I will never fly with it.
  • Due to my crunchy old knees (thanks army) I won’t be hiking up any big hills soon, an hour from the car maximum. But I’m still quite fit apart from that and can carry a decent amount. I prefer stability over light weight.
  • I will never carry a laptop so it doesn’t need that storage although if it does that’s fine as I find that’s a good place to store reflectors/macro backgrounds etc.
  • I doubt I will carry anything else in it so don’t need extra compartments for clothing.
  • I believe the pro tactic 350 is listed at 16 litres so I guess I am looking around the 26 litre mark.
  • Not too bothered about strapping a tripod to it as I tend to carry that separately.
  • I prefer not to strap loads of pouches to the outside of the backpack.
  • I hesitate to say I have no budget as I believe you get what you pay for but I would prefer to be at the 200 bucks end of the market instead of the 400 bucks end. This is not set in stone though.
  • I am quite a deliberate photographer so I’m not in a rush and prefer back opening backpacks.
  • I know I could just jump to the pro tactic 450 but I’m just scouting other options.
  • Needs to be at least slightly waterproof as when I am shooting it will be on the floor.
  • I quite like the look of and functionality of the lowepro pro trekker 450 although I am definitely not wedded to lowepro.
  • I’m not really a fan of the peak design style backpacks, I prefer to open a backpack and see all my kit in one or two compartments.

If I am just going for a walk around the park I would take my Billingham shoulder bag so I won’t always be using the new backpack. I am going to a camera store in the next city soon to look at options but I was just wondering if you kind people has any thoughts of ones to look at or anything to avoid. Many thanks.

-- hide signature --

Stewie Griffin for President

Shinyschnapper's gear list:Shinyschnapper's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow