New zoom lens vs extender

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,308
Re: New zoom lens vs extender

Are you shooting from the side of the pitch or the stands? Do you shoot any night games under floodlights?

I shoot soccer games, sometimes under floodlights, with a lens that is pretty well equivalent to your 70-200 f/2.8 (40-150mm f/2.8 on M4/3). I am shooting from the pitch side. In good light I use a 1.4x TC to give me better range for shots on the other side of the pitch. In poor light I shoot without the TC and just crop images where necessary - I am just shooting for the web so quality isn't critical, I just have to try to get shots of all the goals.

Your current Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is an excellent lens for sports. Personally, for shooting from the side of the pitch, I would look for a used 1.4x TC. Apart from Canon, Kenko used to make quite a good TC for Canon lenses. I owned one - I think that it was the Kenko Pro 300.

If you shoot from the stands, I would look for a used Canon 100-400mm Mk1 or a used Sigma 100-400mm, but they won't be much use for floodlit matches or indoor sports.  As somebody else has already said, don't buy the Canon 70-200mm.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow