New zoom lens vs extender

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,129
Re: New zoom lens vs extender

Neen303 wrote:

I’m a VERY amateur Mum photographer of my (adult) kids’ sports - mostly field hockey. I currently photograph their games with my Canon EOS 60D with a Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L USM lens that I’ve owned for seven or eight years.

While I’m mostly happy with the shots I take, I’m thinking about trying to buy something with a longer zoom. Spending thousands to buy a 400mm+ zoom is out of the question - I’m looking at the very cheap end of the market.

So, I’m trying to decide between buying a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens or getting a Canon 1.4x EF Teleconverter Extender Mark III to use with my existing lens. The extender is about double the price of the 75-300mm lens, but I’ve read good reviews about using it with L series zoom lenses like the one I already have.

The question is, am I wasting my time (and money!) thinking about either of these solutions? Will the increase to 300mm come at the expense of image quality if I buy that lens? What about the extender? Is it a reasonable solution to achieving what I want, with less loss of quality than using a cheap lens? Or do I just stick with my 70-200mm and try to manoeuvre myself closer to the action?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

Janine

This review of the Sigma 100-400mm has a comparison section with the 70-300's, 100-400's, and 150-600's lenses. It's a good overview of the lenses in your sphere of interest.

If there aren't any satisfactory lenses mentioned in that comparison section, you should probably stay where you are. The 75-300mm doesn't do very well at the long end.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow