Industrial photography

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Charlie BRM
Charlie BRM Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Industrial photography

I spent years doing videography and editing for industrial projects. Usually my clients were the equipment designers and manufacturers and they needed me in the field to portray the new models in action. I actually mean "in the field" because a major part was sod harvesting equipment, park and fairway mowers with up to 11 mower heads wide that folded up behind the tractor like transformer toys to fit through shed doors, etc.
Transport truck modifications for specific loads. Images and video for training sessions, trade shows and conventions. I solved a lot of requirements for those companies.

It's quite a bit different than photography where you are setting up a scene, placing lighting and backdrops 'just so' to get the perfect shot for an ad. What these clients like is someone who has their head on a swivel around operating equipment, doesn't get in the way of the operators and can adapt on the fly. As well as possible, taking video or stills that explain how the thing works is more important than how it looks.

I also spent two years in an auto parts machining factory on the line, done heavy landscaping, construction, demolition, drywall, etc. and my first job out of university was marketing in North America for a mining company so that all helps me comprehend and fit in so everyone is more comfortable with the camera guy invading their work space.

For the right type this is an alternative to pursue. A gear head with a trigger finger.

Charlie BRM's gear list:Charlie BRM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow