Helping me to shot andromeda

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP jjuncal Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Helping me to shot andromeda

82Virago wrote:

I would shoot at 200 for sure. M31 is pretty big and 300mm on APS-C Canon sensor is pretty good.

With the zoom I would probably shoot 200 no teleconverter, but I would shoot test frames just to see what is what.

The f2.8 can be an advantage in shooting shorter subs with more data, which makes tracking less critical.

Of course you want tracking as good as you can but if new to the hobby easier is nicer.

I don't know your camera enough to recommend ISO, but 800-1600 is a good starting point. I shoot 1600 at f4 120sec subs. I would try a good 2 hours of data.

Trial and error, then recording setting and learning what works, is where you will really learn your gear. Summer puts M31 in a good spot in the sky, so plan a few outings to get some good data and learn your work flow.

I would a few dozen dark frames. I don't shoot flats or bias, I don't see a benefit to the way I work.

If you plan on travelling to a dark site, I would go out weeks early to a near by 'dark enough' site to try things out.

M31 is easy to find, big and relatively bright. While you are after it, Triangulum is nearby just below, and also a cool target.

Good Luck, but don't wait for summer to shoot something M51, M101, M13 and a few other clusters all easily doable right now.

Cheers

Hey Virago,

Thanks y lot for your help and useful information.

I'll make a try as soon as possible but with your help and from other people I'll probably get a result beyond my initial expectations!

cheers man!

jjuncal's gear list:jjuncal's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow