Need help with backup

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 147
Need help with backup

Due to an ongoing issue with my initial migration, Apple recommended that I back up everything, wipe the hard drive and start fresh.  Had High Sierra at the time.

I wanted to use Mojave to allow 32-bit apps. So, I had to create a bootable hard drive because Apple forces updates to the latest version.

Rather than do another migration, I opted to back up Photos to an external SSD and iTunes library to another one.

Before I began this process, I very specifically asked the next-level Apple rep if i would be able to connect the to external SSD's and back them up to another external hard drive. I was told that it can be done this way. So, I did not do a redundant backup pre-conversion.

However, another rep, after the conversion, cast doubt on that possibility.

I'm trying to determine the easiest course of action for a not-particularly-technically-inclined user.  This stuff tends to give me brain cramps.

I still have sufficient room to individually copy the external ssd's back to the internal SSD and then back them up from there. Call that Option 1.

Option 2 would be to clone the external SSD's onto another external HD, if possible.  I would prefer not to buy software just for this task.

Do you have an opinion on whether Option 2 is possible and, if so, is there any reason to prefer it over Option 1.

PS - I did find one article that says Option 2 is possible. Here is a link if you care to take a look:

https://mactakeawaydata.com/backup-external-hard-drive-to-another-external-hard-drive-mac/

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow