Good resources for learning the generals in fixing film cameras?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mapachebasura Forum Member • Posts: 98
Good resources for learning the generals in fixing film cameras?

Basically I'm getting a free Petri 7 S. I know they don't have the quality or recognition of other similar styled cameras (the Canonets and the Electros) and the I know they go for like $30, a friend is giving it away because it's broken but they can't specify what's wrong. I figured it's a good chance to learn to fix things and maybe get to where I can buy and fix nicer cameras people are basically scrapping.

I know it'll cost more for tools than it will to buy a new one of this particular camera but I already like doing small-repair/project jobs on things (good with a soldering iron, laptop hardware replacement, I do lino printing) and it sounds like something fun to do. And if it works, cool, I have a fun beater camera!

Would love to learn to clean lenses and fix shutters. I know there's a million videos, many are great and show you exactly how to fix problems on specific cameras and I can probably track them down. But I'd love to learn the 101 on common problems and camera construction and expand from there. Any idea of what a good place to start is?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow