Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

I believe that today's announcement of the new R3 reveals the future of the rumored 7DII successor R7: it's not going to happen.

I've said that from the start.

The clue was the 600 and 800 RF F11 lenses. Canon used the advantages of mirrorless (eg gain on the lcd so you don't get a dim view), and full frame gets that much more light. So the advantages of APS-C are over for wildlife photographers. Sure, there are people who are gonna turn their nose up for f11, but most of the reviews I saw were very positive to those lenses.

The other issue is that the 7D2 is a 2014 camera that had an introductory price of $1799.

So 7 years later, we're still waiting for a replacement? There is optimism and there is reality. If it happens, great, if not, meh.

Then there is the issue of the R6, which by all means is the 7D3, albeit full frame. And look at the price, $2499. 7 years at 3%pa from $1799, bring you to around $2200 (as a guess). Canon never go down on pricing when they introduce the new model, they always go up. $2200 vs $2499? The R6 is the R7.

Even if you don't accept that, why would the R7 be less than $2200? And what does a $2200 body do to R6 sales, why would Canon eat into their R6 sales for another body?

We already know that Canon have a production problem, why would you introduce another body to compete against what is turning into a very successful model like the R6? And as space frees up in your production with dropping 7D2 and 90D sales, why not use that space for the R3?

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow