24mm and 50mm, or just 35mm?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,644
Re: Photo Audit

romfordbluenose wrote:

LordKOTL wrote:

That will give you the answer of what primes you'll want to look into. If, for instance, you have very few or no photos taken at 35mm why get a prime of that length?

This is a common suggestion helping to decide on primes, and I've used it in the past. However, using primes and using zooms can be a completely different experience, the reason being is that you have to use your feet to help compose the shot.

However, if the majority of your photos are almost always wide angle then the choice is easy buy something even wider. which would suggest a 20mm lens as its difficult to step back over a cliff or through a brick wall.

That's my experience as well.  Moving from my old film kit zoom to primes made me slow down and consider not only what I was shooting, but also prevented me from trying to shoot *everything* and just focus on what lens I had on or what lens I wanted to switch to.

A good rule of thumb I picked up about "zoom with the feet" is start near the zone of danger, and then only move away from it.  So if I'm at risk of walking backwards into a road, I'd start near the road, put on a lens that is what I need or wider, and then walk towards the subject as needed.  Ditto in reverse:  If there's a risk of walking off of a cliff I'd start near the edge of the cliff, and use a telephoto lens that is what I need or narrower, and then walk back.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow