Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,459
Re: Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Antennum wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Antennum wrote:

Fellow hobbyist and amateur here, with no experience in MF. I have however read a great deal on the subject of camera sensors/tech as i've been acquiring gear. I own or have played with a Sony a7iii, Nikon DF, Olympus em1ii, Ricoh GRiii.
With print size a non-factor, the main differences I see are with respect to workflow and color reproduction and tonality.
Do you appreciate the ability to shoot a wide scene and crop significantly in PP.

If I crop materially in both directions, I have almost always made an error at capture time.

Do you want a wider flexibility in editing colors for creative reasons.

MF has slightly higher DR, but it's hardly night and day.

Do you have a high resolution, color calibrated monitor to really make the most out of 16-bit MF.

There is very little difference between 14 bit and 16 bit precision in the GFX 100x.

Do you have the patience or wherewithal to handle and store 100mb+ files?

I've found most important for web viewing or small prints, are pixel size and the rendering quality of lenses. Thats why i've settled on my Nikon DF with a paltry 16MP and huge pixel size.

You must love aliasing.

I've got 24MP on my asp-c Ricoh GR and I much prefer the juicy image qualities coming from my DF. You can buy the MF camera if you've got the money, as it helps companies to move technology further when people buy. The cameras you have now are plenty good enough.

Thanks for the insight. Im just like the OP, in that i've only experienced the differences on paper. Regarding aliasing on digital viewing formats-- I'm more concerned with how images will look when compressed on social media, etc for web viewing, but that is just me.

Oh. Then 16 MP is overkill.

16mb is plenty for my case if not zooming or cropping, and the OP has a D810, should he need all that detail. Its funny that I was just looking at your site, prior to seeing your post, and admiring all those great shots. I especially like the street gallery. But I see way more aliasing, banding, pixilation, whatever you call it, from the <1mb uploads in your "from my window" series. I believe that the prints or original files would look amazing in excess of a 1000x than what was uploaded, with a 16 megapixel version possibly 90% as good on normal laptop screen.

Aliasing, banding, and pixelation are three different things.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow