R5 - Compromise(s) of using L/50 ISO?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve Kelly New Member • Posts: 24
R5 - Compromise(s) of using L/50 ISO?

I shoot at f/1.2 a lot, mostly in the mornings, not long after sunrise. Always RAW.

And once we get past golden hours, if it's bright & sunny , then 1/8000 is not fast enough for a correct exposure at f/1.2.  I keep forgetting about ISO 50, but I guess as it's not a native setting, there must be compromise.

And I do not enjoy having to stop up to f/2 just to nail the exposure.

All it says in the user manual is loss of some dynamic range.

I've also read (google) some peeps saying there is no difference in RAW files between 1 image shots @ ISO 50 and another same image shot at ISO 100 (all other settings being equal). That's right, presumably?   it's hard to picture this being the case, just because when I switch down from 100 to 50, the exposure in the EVF darkens by a stop (and so looks good). but I guess this EVF view is has the equivalence of jpg processing on top of it

And then saw another video by the Northrup saying it's the same in both RAWs, but the ISO 50 file has less noise than the ISO 100.

So questions are: anyone regularly shoot f/1.2 using ISO50 ?  Are there any real/significant compromises in image quality?  is it a completely futile exercise if shooting RAW only?

I will do some testing when next out, but wondered if anyone already knows the answers to these.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow