What Lens Specification To Look For Sharpness At Distant Subjects When Cropped??

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,308
Re: What Lens Specification To Look For Sharpness At Distant Subjects When Cropped??

John Crowe wrote:

I have never heard of "perceived megapixel" and I would not trust any reference to this.

I googled "perceived megapixel rating" and got no hits.  He might be getting mixed up with DXO's measurement of "perceptual megapixels", but that is for a camera/body combination and DXO has never explained how the measurement is obtained.

He might also be getting mixed up with the concept used by birders of "pixels on the target".  There comes a point when shooting at extreme range and with extreme cropping when the camera with the highest pixel density sensor will produce the "least worst" image.  That is why bridge cameras with tiny sensors like the Nikon P1000 still exist.

I am inclined to say to the OP that the best image quality will come from the lens being used by the photographer who shoots from the closest distance and waits for the best light and the best atmospheric conditions. 

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow