100-400 on R5: Canon EF Mark I vs Mark II vs Sigma/Tamron?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iker3085 Junior Member • Posts: 35
100-400 on R5: Canon EF Mark I vs Mark II vs Sigma/Tamron?

So I have the RF 70-200 2.8, which is great and I love it. I use(d) it mainly for sports but also as an allrounder. During Covid, there are less options to shoot, no sports, no weddings, so I feel like going a little more into wildlife. Without the ability to use the 70-200 on an extender, I feel like buying something longer though.

The way I see it, there are four options here:
- Canon EF 100-400 Mk 1
- Canon EF 100-400 Mk 2
- Sigma or Tamron 150-600
- Canon RF 100-500

The 100-500 is a dream, but 3.100€ and shipping times of 3 months make it less attractive. So I'd like to know, if the older lenses are still good value, especially the cheaper ones like the Mk1 and the third party lenses and also if those offer fast enough AF and good quality via adapter on the R5.
Especially a comparision between the Mk1 and Mk2 versions on the R5 would be great. Does the Mk1 still perform or will it leave you disappointed and make you wish you've spent more on the Mk2? Same question goes for the cheaper Sigma and Tamron lenses.

iker3085's gear list:iker3085's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow