Wildlife APS-C upgrade advice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,790
Re: Wildlife APS-C upgrade advice

Both good bodies - I favour ( and have ) the d500 - arguably still the best in class ( apart from a d850 maybe ).

As to the lenses - I have shot bif with a 100-400 but big birds close in. Nice and light to manoeuvre hand held. The Canon is the best of them but both the tam and sig are close and cheaper if you decide on Nikon.

I agree with the previous poster that longer is better and 600 on an aps-c is a sweet spot. The sigma C and tamron 150-600’s are within your budget - faster AF than the 200-500. You might be able to get a good used sigma 150-600 sport which imo is about the best short of a 600 prime at a lot of dosh. Unfortunately it is heavy.

If weight and handling isn’t an issue for you then I would suggest a d500 snd a sigma sport ( the 150-600 or the 60-600 ).

Obviously not on your options but a lighter outfit is an oly em1.2 (used from wex, lce etc ) + oly 100-400 but (a) that is most of your budget and, (b) There are pluses and minuses in looking at m43 for birding all of which have been thrashed out ad nauseum in these forums.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow