Five years a switcher...

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 920
Five years a switcher...

It's nearing 5 years since I bought my first Sony ILCM, the A7rii, along with a Zeiss Batis 85 to "try out this mirrorless thing" while still owning and shooting Canon gear. From the moment I tried that combo, I never used my Canon bodies again! I'm a Sony shooter now and have the best camera gear I ever owned with some amazing capabilities on tap. I've never felt so "photographically empowered"  and contentment abounds. Thank you Sony.

Contrast that with how I felt just before switching. Canon were milking the cash cow DSLRs and I was getting disenchanted with my 5d2. I started using my phone more for casual togging because the inconvenience of lugging Canon gear was NOT outweighed by negligible IQ improvements. I stopped grabbing a camera "just in case" whenever I went out and was frankly losing interest in "ordinary photography" (a label I use for all genres outside macro or micro, my first and primary passions). My Canon gear became a pretty serious demotivator in it's own right.

I switched right after that first mirrorless experience and I am so pleased I did. If Canon had made overt mirrorless moves maybe 3-4 years earlier than they have, I might still be a Canon shooter. But they didn't and Sony gained the serious 5-figure chunk of revenue that Canon lost, along with a brand-invested, once-loyal customer. The R5 looks really nice, but I have an even larger investment in Sony glass than I had in Canon and I won't be doing another switch this side of the grave. Too late Canon. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I wonder if we'll ever know the potential revenue losses Canon incurred through being too slow off the mark? They may get it back eventually - but it will be a lot harder.

Anyway, the ride has been exciting and supremely motivating and shows no signs of slowing down. Switching was a costly, but ultimately correct decision. What a great time to be a (retired) Sony tog!

Now back to rationalising why I don't want an A1 as well. Trouble is, I do really, but that's another topicĀ 

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow