Canon Newbie - advice for shooting soccer

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vincentp Junior Member • Posts: 33
Canon Newbie - advice for shooting soccer

Hi All

Just received my Canon R5 and RF 70-200mm f/2.8 - switching from a Fuji XT3 & 50-140 f/2.8

Any advice for setting up the camera for shooting soccer?

This is my first Canon and I'm finding it very foreign - I've had the fuji gear for a few years (nikon before that) and gotten quite comfortable with it, but had the itch to switch to full frame

What AF modes are people using with soccer? On the XT3 I used zone mode (the tracking mode is pretty hopeless), I can change the size of the zone , but haven't found a way to do that on the R5 yet.

I usually shoot in shutter priority or manual. I'm still figuring out customisation on the R5, a bit disappointed I can't customise the dial functions much at all (or am I missing something) - I was hoping to put exposure compensation on the main dial as the control ring on the lens is a bit awkward to use.

I have 3 batteries (battery grip on order), that should get me through a game (I would use 2 for a game on the XT3).

I have a game Sat and a one on Sun to shoot, only local amateur games so not worried if I mess up

Any advice appreciated, thx.

vincentp's gear list:vincentp's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow