Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Antennum New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Fellow hobbyist and amateur here, with no experience in MF. I have however read a great deal on the subject of camera sensors/tech as i've been acquiring gear. I own or have played with a Sony a7iii, Nikon DF, Olympus em1ii, Ricoh GRiii.
With print size a non-factor, the main differences I see are with respect to workflow and color reproduction and tonality.
Do you appreciate the ability to shoot a wide scene and crop significantly in PP.

Do you want a wider flexibility in editing colors for creative reasons.

Do you have a high resolution, color calibrated monitor to really make the most out of 16-bit MF.

Do you have the patience or wherewithal to handle and store 100mb+ files?

I've found most important for web viewing or small prints, are pixel size and the rendering quality of lenses. Thats why i've settled on my Nikon DF with a paltry 16MP and huge pixel size. I've got 24MP on my asp-c Ricoh GR and I much prefer the juicy image qualities coming from my DF. You can buy the MF camera if you've got the money, as it helps companies to move technology further when people buy. The cameras you have now are plenty good enough.

Antennum's gear list:Antennum's gear list
Ricoh GR III Nikon Df Olympus E-M5 II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow