R5 off but powers on when lens attached?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lmnop New Member • Posts: 23
R5 off but powers on when lens attached?

Hi,

When the Canon R5 is powered off and I attach or re-attach any lens, the lens and seems like some of the camera briefly powers on and then returns to off.

The other day I attached the RF 35mm f1.8 lens and had my hand around the front of the lens.  I was not expecting the front of the lens to move and a lot of pressure was placed on the focusing mechanics briefly.  I tried other lens including several brands of EF lens and they all do the same.

I didn't notice this with earlier firmware but I'm not saying for sure it was caused by the new 1.3.x firmware.  I did install 1.3.0 when it came out and after that is when I happened to notice this behavior.  1.3.1 firmware behaves the same.

Changing Cn4, "retract lens when power off" does not change the behavior.

Something to be careful of, like I mentioned you could end up putting a lot of pressure on the focus systems.  Some lens like the EF 50mm f1.4 can become permanently damaged this way.

Kind regards

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow