Macbook Air

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,635
Re: Macbook Air

lynda07 wrote:

My old Windows PC needs replacing and I’m thinking of getting a Macbook. (M1). I have an iPad Pro and iPhone but have never used a Macbook, it’s totally new to me.

Sounds like a good idea. I really like my M1 Macbook Air. It is very fast, cool, and quiet. You'd have to get a high-end Windows laptop to compete with its graphics speed, and the fan would then be running when you play videos etc.

I’d be using it for browsing, YouTube etc but my main use would be processing photos using Lightroom and Photoshop. Would you recommend the Air or Pro?

I bought the Air because notebookcheck.net said might as well. The only feature that would make a difference to me is that the Pro has better sound. M1 Pro also has fan assisted cooling, a larger battery, a slightly brighter display, and a Touchbar (who cares).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Air-2020-M1-Entry-Review-Apple-M1-CPU-humbles-Intel-and-AMD.508057.0.html

You might consider waiting until autumn for M1 Macbook 15 and 16. I have the minimal 8GB memory 256GB storage and it's plenty for me as a DxO PhotoLab user. Photoshop layers and stitching might require 16GB.

How do you go on using Word, Excel etc? Do you buy it, do Apple do their own version?

I use LibreOffice, but Apple has Office equivalents for Big Sur. MSFT Office Home & Business costs $219 on Amazon and is available from the Apple store, price not listed.

I’m guessing this would be a completely different way of working to what I am used to, any pros/cons of moving from Windows to Apple would be gratefully received too.

Lightroom and Photoshop would be much the same, I think.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow