Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,254
Re: Basic questions - wannabe MF user

tgltgl wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

tgltgl wrote:

Satyaa wrote:

I understand your point. My first spend on a digital system was fairly modest with a Rebel Digital XTi and one lens. Five years later, and for next 8 or so years, I have a decent but not a heavy spend into Nikon system. I plan to use them as long as they work.

The next system I buy will probably be my last. The one thing I expect from it is satisfaction. So, I need to consider carefully.

If it means a used 50S with a 45mm prime, or even a Z body with a couple of primes, I am open to all possibilities and am not in a rush.

Thanks.

I own GFX 50R and most of the GFX primes at this point (also a former long time Canon DSLR user), and have been super happy with the system so far over the last couple of years. But even if I could only own 50R + GF 45 for the rest of my life it would still be enough to make me happy. That lens is my all time favorite and to me it was worth switching to GFX just to be able to shoot with it (I will eventually upgrade 50R to some new model down the road). I disagree with those who say it's not worth using GFX if you don't print big - I actually don't print at all but enjoy viewing those glorious files on my huge 43" 4K monitor - more than worth it to shoot MF just for that reason alone as far as I"m concerned. Some of the new FF cameras and lenses are amazing as well, but as far as purely IQ is concerned MF systems are still superior. Of course in most images it's hard to tell the difference, but that is true even if you shoot with high end mobile phones (for casual viewing). But for some of those very special once in a lifetime images (even if only capturing a handful of those every year) it is really worth it to have the best possible equipment - for me that also means always using GF primes over GF zooms.

Good post Tom. I agree with you on the printing big comment. That whole nonsense about how MF is only beneficial if you print big is ridiculous anti-MF FF marketing propaganda.

I totally disagree with you that on most images you can't tell the difference between MF and FF. There is a big difference and you can tell on every image. Not just some.

The phone comment? Come on Tom! You can't put a phone up against even MFT or APSC, much less FF or GFX. Sure, we all like our phone snapshots (well, I don't except to document my airport parking lot), but let's not worry about phones when we are in a FF vs MF debate. šŸ˜ƒ

Greg,

I honestly can't tell the differences in most cases between high end FF and MF. But for about 5% or so of the images (typically and by far most likely those taken with the best GF glass which to me includes 23, 45, 110, and 250 - it seems 80 is in that category as well although I don't have so don't want to judge it) - when images are taken with those lenses at the stops where they shine, and the subjects and lighting is right that's when MF magic does happen, and differences in IQ can be quite obvious - but that is a huge minority of images I typically see (even posted on this great forum). Ok - with phones the differences are much more obvious but still there are many phone images that get posted online and it's often not obvious they were taken on the phones vs other formats (especially if good photographers have taken them). I think viewing those images on large calibrated 4K monitors like we use the IQ differences can be seen more easily , but we all know that is not how huge majority of people consume their images. Even people who use 'computers' to browse and view images most often seem to use laptops with 12-13" screens - and it's definitely not easy to see many differences there. Still, going back to MF and those 5% of best images taken with best GF glass - it is absolutely worth it to shoot MF just for those alone. I often view some of my favorite older images I took with my Canon systems over the years and only wish I had the GFX system (and could afford such a system) back in those days - it would have taken those images to another level of IQ greatness.

Tom, you know I luv ya.  You know I do.  But we see differently for some reason.  You really can't see the difference?  That's OK.

I love my high res FF.  It is awesome.  But I can see the difference every time.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow