Compressed Loseless - Safe to Use?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,974
Re: Compressed Loseless - Safe to Use?

Zoba132 wrote:

My question is, is there any reason I should stay away from Compress Loseless format before I completely sink into it? I tried view those in Faststone, Photo Mechanic and Lightroom - and all worked. But I wonder if there's a chance that I'm going to have future problems to open my compressed RAW files? (like new Compressing method that will make the old absolute or unpopular to support?)

I don't think there is a problem with compressed lossless, that's what I use. Support for compression usually comes with support of a given camera, and fortunately there are folks who make free and open source software for processing these files widely available. If this software can't be found anymore, we have far greater problems than just recovering digital family photos.

OK, maybe eventually 'bit rot' will hit the file, making it partly, largely, or completely unreadable. Uncompressed files don't have that problem: usually corrupted bits will just make a bit or a small set of bits garbage, but everything else can be recovered.

But then you do have backups? Of course, eventually bit rot will get to those as well. Error rates of one in a trillion used to seem really good back in the old days, but now with terabyte drives, that doesn't seem too secure does it?

"Remember, man, you are dust and to dust you shall return."

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow