G1 Vs GX9 and 12-32mm vs 14-45mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
norman shearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
G1 Vs GX9 and 12-32mm vs 14-45mm

Just added the Panasonic 14-45mm classic zoom to my collection. It had a G1 attached so I figured I'd compare it to my GX9 and 12-32mm combo.

That's a £72 outfit Vs a £390 outfit!

Or a 2009 body Vs a 2018 body. 12MP Vs 20MP

The difference in price could have paid for a w/end break to somewhere more scenic than the local park I went to..

I started with a G1 around 2010 and then GH2, GM1, GF1, GF3, GF7, GX7, GX80, GX8 and finally GX9. Oh and an Olympus EPL7!

I could've had many holidays paid for if I'd stuck with the G1. Let's face it - the image quality at low ISO has not exactly moved on in leaps and bounds. Ultimately the final output is what photography is all about isn't it? All that other stuff like AF tracking, FPS, weather sealing etc is just fluff!

Okay, I'm underselling a lot but not when you consider how photographers got by in the film era. If this was snooker rather than photography I'd buy a stick. Attach a tip and put some chalk on it. Job done. Now it's over to me to use it with skill. Why is it that so many photographers, me included or rather me especially, place so much importance on the gear?

Anyway, rant over. It's not exactly a light bulb moment for me. I've known about my GAS for many a year. I'm like a nail biter. Whilst biting my nails I keep thinking I should stop but on I go. 

norman shearer's gear list:norman shearer's gear list
Samsung EX2F Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX mini +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow