Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
nolten Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

The M lineup of lenses include a 55-200, 15-45, 18-55, 18-150, 11-22, as well as 28 Macro, 22/2 and a bright 32/1.4. Eight lenses...not a huge lineup compared to EF, EFS or even R, but fairly inclusive for a purely consumer/amateur/vlogger market. From the looks of it, the M series will never serve professionals. But again, why would most pros want to go with M at all? Your kit is not cohesive because Canon has essentially abandoned your 90D and 5DIV. And I'm not seeing where they intend for M and R to work together.

If you're an enthusiast or professional, Canon wants you in the R system, period. Maybe one day. My 5DIV and 7DII still look and perform like new. I'm wading into mirrorless playing here and there with my wife's M50, but I'm much too engrained in an optical viewfinder mentality. But Canon isn't too concerned those of us holding onto to our five-year old Mark IVs. That last generation of DSLRs were very good, but Canon is now thoroughly dedicated to mirrorless. In that sense, it's not so much as our cameras are the dinosaurs as it is us.

I think we agree on pretty much everything. Except that the EF-M 18-55 is no more, but thats minor. The M6II is my first M and the majority of M users over on the M forum supplement their Ms with EF mount lenses. The M, limited to native lenses, becomes a Rebel kit set, still the best selling Canon at Amazon. Perhaps Canon intends M as the new consumer kit since some of the Rebel kit lenses are on the block. Dunno. Killing the Rebels seems foolish to me from Canon's perspective but they are going through a major sea change and M's fate seems minor. I think RP is the new Rebel with the RF STM lenses.

I agree I'm a dinosaur. I prefer OVFs and don't see any R body, regardless of viewfinder, that betters my 5D4, 90D, M, and G for landscape, wildlife, travel. And my many year lens collection does everything I need. I have spares of most critical components and will probably buy a few more as they are terminated, like spare M and G. Probably cost less than one RF L lens. My kit should last 10 to 20 years and that is all I'd probably need. Who knows, maybe in 10 years the new camera landscape will look more attractive to me again.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS M6 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow