Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,158
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

nolten wrote:

You may be right, and I hope you are, especially about the stealth part. Canon has announced development of the R3, no equivalent announcements about anything related to APS-C. Canon Rumors, not Canon, has announced the cancellation of the 55-250 STM lens. To me, this is the seminal lens. Without this lens the EF-S and even EF-M mount cameras become just point and shoots. The cancellation list is pretty impressive and supports my theory. No announcements or rumors about M's future or replacement. I hope I'm wrong. My M6II, 90D, and 5D4 work together as a team sharing important lenses but serving different purposes. There is no cohesive kit on the horizon.

The M lineup of lenses include a 55-200, 15-45, 18-55, 18-150, 11-22, as well as 28 Macro, 22/2 and a bright 32/1.4. Eight lenses...not a huge lineup compared to EF, EFS or even R, but fairly inclusive for a purely consumer/amateur/vlogger market. From the looks of it, the M series will never serve professionals. But again, why would most pros want to go with M at all? Your kit is not cohesive because Canon has essentially abandoned your 90D and 5DIV. And I'm not seeing where they intend for M and R to work together.

If you're an enthusiast or professional, Canon wants you in the R system, period. Maybe one day. My 5DIV and 7DII still look and perform like new. I'm wading into mirrorless playing here and there with my wife's M50, but I'm much too engrained in an optical viewfinder mentality. But Canon isn't too concerned those of us holding onto to our five-year old Mark IVs. That last generation of DSLRs were very good, but Canon is now thoroughly dedicated to mirrorless. In that sense, it's not so much as our cameras are the dinosaurs as it is us.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow