TIFF Vs raw

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hulk2006
Hulk2006 Regular Member • Posts: 103
TIFF Vs raw

I have a quick question regarding TIFF and raw formats. I've never shot in TIFF because none of my cameras had that option but recently I picked up a FUJI S2, the old one that has a 6/12 megapixel CCD sensor.

I got it for it's outstanding JPEG colors but I accidentally shot a bunch of photos with it in TIFF.

Anyways, to my surprise when I opened them up on my computer the TIFF photos looked just like my JPEG photos, except that they had more resolution since they had more megapixels compared to the JPEGs.

What I mean is, the TIFF files had the same JPEG settings as far as color, tone, and sharpness.

Whenever I shot in raw on my other cameras and opened them up on my computer the colors all looked washed out since you're supposed to use your imagination to what you want your photo to look like.

Anyways, can someone explain this to me? Are TIFF and raw not the same thing?

I also bought a FUJI S3 which shoots in raw.  I should take some photos in raw and jpeg and compare them on my computer to see if the raw files look washed out or if they look just like the jpegs but more sharper and cleaner.

-- hide signature --

"No grain, no gain."

Nikon 1 S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow