Easiest camera to use ever

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Franglais91 Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
Easiest camera to use ever

It is very easy to get good results with the Z5. Exposure and light balance are usually right and when they aren't it's visible in the viewfinder. I shoot RAW and I've noticed that there are only minor corrections to make to my images to have them the way I like - certainly less than on my D850.

I chose the Z5 as my travel camera after a disastrous summer season with the D850 (sand in the camera, persistent dust on the sensor). I wanted something "expendable" but with the same features as the D850 and if possible lighter.

When the Z5 appeared with the 24-200 I went for it. I've been delighted with this combination as a walk-around kit, able to do even landscapes (lens is sharp from edge to edge). It fits in my backpack or in my shoulderbag and isn't too tiring.

I have now added 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 Prime lenses and I am extremely impressed with the look of the images. I am now using the Z5 for most of my model shootings.

Things I like about the Z5:

- two SD cards. I have lots of SD cards and not having to buy an expensive CFExpress card suited me fine

- only 24Mpix sensor. This is enough for most of what I do. I reserve the D850 for high-quality landscapes and model shootings by flash where I want a brilliant, sharp look

- realistic viewfinder. First time I looked in the Z5 viewfinder I forgot that it was electronic. I hate the look of Sony viewfinders

- good feel. I like to have a camera in my hands which feels solid but not too heavy. It's compact but not small

- minimal corrections to make in post processing - less than on the D850. It gets exposure and white balance pretty right and when it's off you can see it in the viewfinder and correct

- battery life is very good, much better than I was expecting though not as good as the D850. I usually get 1000 or so shots on a full charge. However I only use the viewfinder not the LCD screen and I don't spend ages reviewing my shots

- works pretty much like the D850

Things I don't like about the Z5:

- continuous focussing is way short of the D850. The D850 never misses while on my first Z5 shooting 30% of the images were out of focus. Single shot is much more reliable. Eye focussing works - sort of - but sometimes it goes back into face-detect which is all the D850 can do anyway and it works pretty well

- when I review images on the rear LCD they appear to be unsharp (unlike on the D850). This worried me till I realised that the LCD on the Z5 is only 1MPix

Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z5 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +18 more
Nikon Z5
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jul 21, 2020
Franglais91's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Nikon D850 Nikon Z5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow