Ryzen 7 5800x CPU cooler - is this one good enough?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 447
Ryzen 7 5800x CPU cooler - is this one good enough?

I was originally looking at the 5 3600, but there is a 45% premium over MSRP so I decided to upgrade to the 5800x with only a 15% premium. More expensive obviously, but seems like the better value for money spent and I don´t feel like I´m getting ripped off.

This is my first time buying a CPU without an included cooler. Interenet reading suggests that the 5800x runs the hottest of all the new Ryzens.

Came across a good deal on a be quiet! Pure Rock Slim and am curious if this will do the job. In addition to paying premium prices I´m also faced with reduced selection, sometimes to the point that entire brands are not available - in this case Noctua, which Puget Systems uses. So I have to make do with the best that´s available and where what is available isn´t ridiculously expensive. Compromise is a big word in my vocabulary when buying gear or just about anything not manufactured here.

Seems that just about every review, comment and article making cooler suggestions (and just about everything else computer related) is done with gaming in mind. Some of which in this case are suggesting that this cooler may not be up to the task considering the CPU can run higher than the TDP (105) and the cooler is rated at 120, and that the TDP numbers are really only a guide.

Wondering in general how much of a difference gaming and photo editing are when it comes to effects on the hardware, and how much to discount (if at all) articles and comments made by users thinking only of gaming.

The other cooler I´m considering is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo, but it´s pricier and some articles and videos suggest that though nearly similar as far as temp control, the be quiet is the quieter of the two and the better cooler. I´m just lucky enough to have found one heavily discounted, but I don´t want to have to buy again if this won´t do the job.

I don´t do any gaming. Mostly PS, LR, Capture One, web surfing, etc. Likely no plans on overclocking to squeeze an extra percentage point or nano-second of performance.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow