Moving from APS-C (80D) to FF (R6 or RP)

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,797
Re: Moving from APS-C (80D) to FF (R6 or RP)

GlennZA wrote:

Hi All

Upfront apologies for asking this question knowing it's been asked before. But I think my situation is a tad different than the others i've found.

I'm looking at moving over to FF for various reasons (better low light photography, improved landscape, faster focus etc.)

At the moment, i'm sitting with an 80D which i've had for ages with some decent EF glass collected over the years.

- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM

Keep

- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Sell

- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM

Replace with RF if you go with the RP

- Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Art Lens

Sell

- Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Keep

In my mind, I have 3 options (keeping to a specific budget).

- RP along with some new RF lenses replacing some of the EF ones

It might be worth it to accept the RP if it enables you to get the RF 24-105mm f/4.0 L earlier. The AF RP isn't the best choice for wildlife though. DR isn't great for landscapes, if that matters to you.

- R6 with the adapter keeping my current lenses replacing the lenses at a later stage when RF lens prices come down a bit

Good DR for landscapes, great AF for wildlife.

- or sticking with DSLR and going to the 5D Mark IV

No.

I mainly shoot outdoors (Landscape, Macro, Wildlife) with some informal portraiture occasionally. I have no interest in shooting video with my setup.

Your advice/input would be greatly appreciated

In general you should get new glass first, however in this case you can't run the RF 24-105mm f/4.0 L on your current body. The RP and 5Dmk4 are incremental upgrades only, and 5Dmk4 isn't future proof, as for wildlife you will have to switch to mirrorless anyway. The RP is a nice camera, but probably not the best choice for landscapes.

So I would go R6 now and get RF glass later on. It gives you good DR, and great AF for wildlife (and everything else) immediately.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow