Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,158
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

nolten wrote:

I agree with you in predicting that the R system will be full frame. I am not so sure about the future of the M system or APS-C from Canon in general. With all the strongly rumored EF and EF-S lens cancellations, Canon has effectively pulled the rug out from under M. I'm not good at predictions, I never would have predicted this, but the signs I see suggest Canon is terminating APS-C. All of the EF and EF-S lenses I use are now cancelled except a few L lenses. There has never been enough Canon support for M lenses for the M to stand on its own. I'm afraid we may end up with the expensive R system for true enthusiasts and pros, and a selection of Sony sensor based Powershots. Sad day.

My speculations about M are not solid, I admit. Although sales do seem to be strong from some of the data I've seen. We won't see a full-frame M, for certain. And Canon may be content offering only consumer-grade lenses for the format. Like the R, EF lenses are still compatible, although the small size of the M bodies are kind of funny with them. The M6II has some capabilities that both rival and exceed the 90D, but the optional EVF has pretty much been met negatively. And the M50II offered VERY little over its predecessor. That said, consumer models are updated far more frequently and with smaller improvements. Canon will need to bring more to the table with the next M models or risk loosing share to Sony.

Personally, I like the idea of separate M and R systems. They truly are different, with the former clearly appealing to amateurs, vloggers, and travelers who benefit from the smaller size, lighter weight and lower cost that the smaller sensor provides. And the R system now encompasses a WIDE range of models from entry level to pro with a dedicated lens collection which even beginners can grow with; unlike, say, a Rebel kit with a 18-55 kit lens, someone buying into the RP can still use their R kit lens when they advance upwards. Meanwhile, both systems can still use the HUGE available of EF lenses with simple adapters.

From a market standpoint,  Canon is well poised. I think the biggest question is whether the average Joe can be lured away from their ever-improving cell phone cameras.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV GoPro Hero7 Black +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow