Continue with MFT or switch to APSC?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kopi90 New Member • Posts: 12
Continue with MFT or switch to APSC?

About 6 months ago I bought Panasonic GX9 with 12-32mm kit lens and shortly after 45-150mm tele lens. In the meantime I've been trying to dive a little bit deeper into photography, reading books, taking pictures. So far, the experience is pleasant. However, before investing in other lenses and spending a lot of bucks, I want to be sure about the system.

Right now I am thinking about getting the Olympus 17mm f1.8 lens as it looks like
a great prime lens with a possibility to start playing with bokeh and low-light photos. The 25mm Panasonic is also very appealing because of the price, but it's quite a different focal range.

Other appealing lenses for the future are:
Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 II $550
Panasonic 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 II $500
Olympus 60mm macro f/2.8 $500

At this moment, investment in the MFT was about $700. The future investment in the lenses might be somewhere around 2k. Of course, it would be over a year, maybe two. Nevertheless, the uncertainty of the whole MFT makes it a bit harder. What will happen after 2-3 years when I will want to change the body?

There are also a couple of things that are decreasing my experience. While the camera is very well made, the grip is not very comfortable to hold (too shallow). Sequential field EVF and resolution is tolerable, but not great + resolution could be higher. FullHD video nice, but 4K with a crop is always a hassle when I want to record a landscape. The battery holds up to 250 shots, which is acceptable, but for 60 bucks, I would expect a bit more. Charging only in-camera is always a hurdle.

I saw some discount for XT-3 for like $1000 (XT-30, X-S10 for similar prince might not make sense), but for Sony a6xxx. Would it even make sense to consider it? Sony has a limited range of lenses, Fuji is doing a better job in this regard. Although, long-range tele might be a problem. Nikon/Canon APSC dSLR cameras have quite nice and inexpensive lenses, but not sure if I would like to go back and optical viewfinder is only of very few advantages I can think about.

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow