Advanced Retouching Courses with a Curriculum

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 347
Advanced Retouching Courses with a Curriculum

Hi,

I currently use LR/PS when it comes to retouching portraits and up until now the vast majority of my knowledge has come from the University of Youtube.  To get a basic foundation Youtube has been great and channels like PiXimperfect have been invaluable. 
As I have explored photography more I have gained a greater respect for professional retouchers.  I now see them as part of the creative team and see them no differently than MUA, stylists etc.  
I am looking for recommendations about courses that people have done that specifically relate to retouching portraits to further my learning.

The main issue I have with courses found on Youtube, Udemy, Linkedin etc is that they are either disjointed concepts, do not cover the theory behind the technique or it's difficult to tell if the presenter is actually great or just decent but a great entertainer.

I looked at local technical colleges and other academic institutions and what I found was to be expected.  That is, they offer retouching as part of a larger course (such as photography) and the contents covered are fairly basic or vague.

This of course is to be expected.  These types of courses have to assume that someone coming in has no prior experience or knowledge.  Furthermore, there is only so much they can teach in a limited time frame especially when most of these courses teach other non-retouching things concurrently.

I also had a look for local private classes but the best I could find was short workshops.  Once again, these sounded very basic and stated learning outcomes like cropping and learning to use layers.
I did find one local 3 day intensive course on PS that sounded interesting.  While it was considerably expensive, I had 2 main concerns. 1, how much can someone reasonably learn crammed into 3 days.  2, the course structure seemed more about specific tools that application of tools and how they relate to retouching.  So while they mentioned lots of tools there was no mention of any technique (such as dodge and burn).  In essence, the course seemed more about using PS than retouching.

PS. I did a quick search before posting and read half a dozen threads with similar topics but none really satisfied query. Perhaps I was searching the wrong thing

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow