24mm and 50mm, or just 35mm?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,746
Re: 24mm and 50mm, or just 35mm?

pipnat51 wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a 50mm f1.4 and thinking of replacing with a 35mm, either Sigma or Nikon, or Tamron, or keeping it and getting a 24mm instead of the 35. Again Sigma or Nikon. I know you will ask what my needs are and I will say that I don’t do one type of photography but all sorts. So wondering what your thoughts are on what covers most areas. Summing up, 50 and 24, or just a 35? Thanks in advance if you reply.

Plot twist... the best lens on the market around this FL is the Sigma ART 40mm F1.4.

It's a serious masterpiece of IQ. And I find the FL just right for... every day kind of shooting. I can shoot people, I can do landscapes (if I need a more expansive landscape, I still have my nikkor 20mm F1.8.. but I have slowly started shooting tighter with landscapes, so I don't use it often... and, i'm not really a landscape photographer to begin with), I can walk around town and take pictures of buildings. I have always found that 35 was a touch wide on FF, and 50 was a touch tight on FF for "everyday" shooting. The engineers at sigma are geniuses.

It's only downsides are that A) its huge, and heavy, and B) Sigma still can't figure out how to make a smooth lens hood. But I don't really care about either issue.

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow