D850 Speedlight

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Paul P K
Paul P K Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: D850 Speedlight Setup Question

parambyte wrote:

Somehow my original post got published accidentally and I can’t seem to edit it so writing in reply:

If I want a two/three light Speedlight setup with Nikon D850 + WR-R11 and SB5000 as my first Speedlight what are my options for the second/third lights? I believe SB5000 is the only wireless Speedlight from Nikon (And it’s expensive)?

Can I use an SB700 as part of the setup too? (Asking because it would be less expensive than a second SB5000). Will it work with an optical command from SB5000?

Does anyone have experience with a Nikon Speedlight based setup of more than one light?

I understand Godox is almost half the price and I can have a Godox XProN plus 860 series Speedlight too, but for the purpose of THIS post I am considering my options in Nikon.

Only 'advantage' of using a Wr11 + SB5000 is that you can change the off camera flash settings using the D850's in camera menu's.

But you can still use of camera speedlights like SB800 and SB910 (which I used when I had the D850) for CLS remote with the old fashion infra red trigger, or wireless with eg PW TT5's (as I did, having bought those over 10 years ago, and which still work with my DSLR's and mirrorless bodies).

Instead of using the in camera menu (which will be impossible and will be 'greyed out') install either a Master function capable speedlight, or a SU800, or other Master capable device on your transmitter, on the D850 and use the menu of that Master to remotely dial in the settings of the remote speedlights.

I used to have a PWTT5 with a AC3 Zone Controller as transmitter on camera (much less bulky, and lighter then eg a SB800 or SB910), with the remote speedllghts on TT5's as receiver. Reportedly Godox and other receivers/transmitters will do the job for less money, but those weren't around yet when I got my PW's

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow