Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
zorgtool Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Satyaa wrote:

Hi. Photography is my hobby. I currently use a D810 with 24-70/2.8 and D7200 with 70-200/2.8. I never traveled anywhere without a DSLR and a deccent lens in the past 15 years! Before that it was a compact camera or a flim SLR.

With my background (MORE BELOW) and a desire to try MF, what are the pitfalls I should be aware of? I would hate to get something only to fail and return it or sell it later for a loss.

I have been bitten by the GFX100S bug. Something about its form and controls is very enticing. I don't know what to expect. Hence, my post. Is MF camera a bad idea for hobby? Is it only for professional studio work?

I know that it's going to be heavy, something I wanted to avoid going forward (hence the Z choice, see below). I don't need the 100MP. I know that its AF won't be like D810 or D7200 for action and that's not my intent either. I hardly print anything, leave alone anything big. I shoot mostly handheld with VR lenses, not great technique for good landsccape shooting.

Am I aiming for more than I can handle? Should I really give up this thought and focus on something else? Or, is there something I should do to be ready before I spend on a MF camera like this?

Background...

Going back years, I was shooting landscape and nature for hobby when my wife pushed me into including 'people' in my shots. It led to some free work for charity events. My wildlife shooting is mostly the birds in the backyard.

For last two years before the pandemic, I was shooting for charity events, concerts, etc. Shot almost nothing during the pandemic, other than my new cat at home(!) and tinkering with an F3 film camera. Z7 II with a 35mm lens has been on my shopping list for past few months.

I am planning to get out this summer and shoot some landscapes and nature. The D810 I have is sufficient for the purpose. I know that I don't "need" something else, not even the Z, BUT the idea is tempting.

Thanks!

Not sure if my answer going to help you, but I've a little similar thinking. I was owner of a D850 with lot of lenses. Do I need 102M, not really. I do very rarely printing. But I like the super high definition image.

And other point make me choose the GFX100S, are the size. The size of the body are not so big

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/uploads/Blog/GFX100S%20Street/gfx100s-xt4-comparison.jpg

But yes the lenses are much more bigger than a APS-C or a FF. But if you carry few lenses that's not going to be a issue. Yes of course you can carry few small lenses too, but if in absolute the over weight are acceptable than you're OK.

The 45mm weight 490gr vs 280gr (for example Sony 35mm 1.8)

The 110mm weight 1000 gr vs 820 gr (for example Sony 85 mm 1.4)

So overall you're going to carry 390gr more in gear.

I will not tell you it's nothing in one day walking, but it's still acceptable.

And I know cropping are not the same thing as zooming/changing focal lenses, but if you're ok to cropping instead of little zooming, the 102M allow you to carry less lenses.

But if you like to have from 14 to 200mm, yes...the MF will break you bank account *and* you back.  You back will be in a little better shape if you accept to use the zoom. But still Fuji doesn't propose the whole range. So....

Z

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow