M6 ii back button focus: Why does it feel unnatural ?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Biertje Junior Member • Posts: 42
M6 ii back button focus: Why does it feel unnatural ?

I use back button focus on my dslr as I find it useful to uncouple the shutter focus from the shutter button.

I've recently moved over to the M6 ii and back button focus just seems unnatural. I've been using bbf for about 3 years now, so it's not like I'm new to it. I'm not the only one who has mentioned this. I've seen a few videos where people have suggested not using back button focus and some comments on this forum too.

I just can't figure out why it feels weird.

On my 760d I have to:

• hit the focus point selector
  • move my thumb down to the multi switch, change to the limited AF focus points to the spot that I want
  • press the back button focus

On the M6 ii i have to:

• move my thumb on the screen to change the focus point to exactly where I want it (or use the multi switch to move it)
  • hit the dedicated focus button

That 1 step less than before and yet with the M6 ii it just doesn't feel right. Surely it should be easier! Does anyone else have this issue?

I can only think, my brain finds it weird that I can put the AF spot anywhere I want, VS only having a 30ish points to put it on.

I've even tried using the M-Fn button for auto focus, but it doesn't work either.

Any thoughts and tips welcome.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Rebel T6s (EOS 760D / EOS 8000D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow