Generic starting point for photo book creation?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Montanawildlives Senior Member • Posts: 1,309
Generic starting point for photo book creation?

I'm using Affinity Publisher (but I think the same question would apply to InDesign); I am creating a photo book, but I am not sure yet which printing company I will use. I will likely want to test at least two printing companies. There will also be a digital (ebook) version of the book.

I know that when I ultimately export the PDF (in a few months, when the book layout is finalized) that there will be a variety of export options (ICC, not to mention color space, etc.). But, I would like to avoid having to re-create the book layout from scratch for each potential printer and for the digital version.

Are there any better or worse starting points for the document now in terms of color space or other setup options that will make it easier and more accurate to make changes later?

For example, if I knew I was only going to do a digital book, I would use RGB color space. If I knew I was only going to do a print book, I would use CMYK color space from the beginning. If I knew which printer I was going to use, I would set up their ICC now, as I create the book document for the first time.

But, not knowing any of those things...what settings should I use to start? Or, does it not matter because I can choose all of these things upon exporting various versions of the book? (I doubt this because I think there will be conversion problems or actions that will take place that could diminish the quality).

Thanks!

p.s. maybe I can't expect to cross over from digitial to print at the end, as the print versions may need to have photos a half-stop or stop brighter than the digitial versions. If so, we can take that off the table and just ask how you would set up the document not knowing which printing company you will ultimately choose, or wanting to try a few.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow