Canon finishes the war?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,033
Canon finishes the war?

Pun intended.

Just thought I'd write a short snit bit on the changing technology between systems and how that new Canon developed Stacked Sensor effectively ends the war that started some time ago when Sony first did 4K, ADC, BSI, IBIS and then Stacked CMOS.

In case any didn't catch it, Canon just announced they are doing their own BSI and stacked CMOS sensor. This is likely their own, not Sony's with a Canon design as Sony doesn't do DPAF, they do phase pixels/stripes. Now doing stacked CMOS in particular is a big deal as even though Sony to my knowledge has more advanced fabrication, it's the ability to do stacked CMOS at all that permits fast readout and slightly improved ISO from BSI which is also onboard,. Canon's also recently produced dual gain sensors with their R5 and R6 so Dynamic Range although better on Sony, the gap is now so close as to be moot for most use case comparisons. The same can be said shortly for rolling shutter and autofocus (which arguably Canon is better already without it) and video. The only thing Sony can hold over Canon's head is heat mitigation and power draw as having better fabrication helps.

Theres been various draws for systems over the years. Canon's has traditionally been their brand name, vast array of glass, user experience and support. Sony's, and others who use Sony sensors, it has been sensor technology. This announcement marks the end of others competitive advantage in this regard where one had to choose do I want this feature, or that feature between brands. Now Canon has all the "features" to my knowledge, they are leaving folks without excuse (well other than price and migration pains).

I find the timing appropriate considering the imaging industry is rapidly contracting lately that they finally tie off this loose end of being behind in sensor tech. Hopefully they can pass down that stacked CMOS and BSI to smaller sensors in PowerShot G and EOS Ms, but given the market these days? No bet. One can only hope the R isn't the first, and last to get it.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow