Fujinon GF80 for astro?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Navman Regular Member • Posts: 445
Fujinon GF80 for astro?

When the Fuji GF80 was first released, there was some speculation here as to its suitability for astro, particularly given its potential for coma aberration towards image corners. I've tested it over the last few nights, shooting at a variety of apertures from a site with moderate light pollution. All my images have been shot on a tracker, with F/2.8 proving to provide very good centre sharpness and only minor coma aberrations around larger stars in the corners. I've loaded two images, both of which are integrations of multiple 2 minute exposures shot at ISO 400, combined in PixInsight, with final adjustment in Photoshop. Based on this experience, I'll be very happy to use the GF80 for astro.

-John

Southern Cross (lower left) and Eta Carinae nebula (upper centre), prominent features of the Milky Way for southern hemisphere star-gazers - 32x 2 minute exposures

Central part of an image centred on the Large Magellanic Cloud - 10x 2-min exposures

Navman's gear list:Navman's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow