Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Re: Basic questions - wannabe MF user

Satyaa wrote:

Hi. Photography is my hobby. I currently use a D810 with 24-70/2.8 and D7200 with 70-200/2.8. I never traveled anywhere without a DSLR and a deccent lens in the past 15 years! Before that it was a compact camera or a flim SLR.

With my background (MORE BELOW) and a desire to try MF, what are the pitfalls I should be aware of? I would hate to get something only to fail and return it or sell it later for a loss.

I have been bitten by the GFX100S bug. Something about its form and controls is very enticing. I don't know what to expect. Hence, my post. Is MF camera a bad idea for hobby? Is it only for professional studio work?

I know that it's going to be heavy, something I wanted to avoid going forward (hence the Z choice, see below). I don't need the 100MP. I know that its AF won't be like D810 or D7200 for action and that's not my intent either. I hardly print anything, leave alone anything big. I shoot mostly handheld with VR lenses, not great technique for good landsccape shooting.

Am I aiming for more than I can handle? Should I really give up this thought and focus on something else? Or, is there something I should do to be ready before I spend on a MF camera like this?

Background...

Going back years, I was shooting landscape and nature for hobby when my wife pushed me into including 'people' in my shots. It led to some free work for charity events. My wildlife shooting is mostly the birds in the backyard.

For last two years before the pandemic, I was shooting for charity events, concerts, etc. Shot almost nothing during the pandemic, other than my new cat at home(!) and tinkering with an F3 film camera. Z7 II with a 35mm lens has been on my shopping list for past few months.

I am planning to get out this summer and shoot some landscapes and nature. The D810 I have is sufficient for the purpose. I know that I don't "need" something else, not even the Z, BUT the idea is tempting.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like money is burning a hole in your pocket.  You already have a camera that's more capable than your needs.  Are you printing any of your work?  If so, how big are the prints?

You can certainly go the 100S route and be no worse for wear, but be aware that it's going this whole thing is going to run you around $10k and it may wind up being an exercise in futility as you find out that the equipment hasn't made your photography any better, sharing your photos via the web doesn't require anything even remotely near to what you already have, much less the 100S and you'll be out of 10 grand, which could have been spent on something more... useful.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow