Can't play Canon R5 10-bit HDR video on LG OLED TV or Samsung QLED

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rnclark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,962
Can't play Canon R5 10-bit HDR video on LG OLED TV or Samsung QLED

Hi,

I just got an R5 and have been doing some 4k video testing. I want to play 4K 10-bit HDR video on my LG OLED TV (C9 77-inch--2019 model). I also have Samsung Q80R QLED 55-inch, 2019 model.  I'm testing with the videos on a USB stick.

Both will play 8-bit 4k video, but neither will play 10-but HDR video.

The LG shows images from the videos in the file icon, so apparently can read enough info to get that, and loads the file but plays the video as a black screen; the audio is fine.

It does not appear to be a bit-rate or chroma issue. For example, Canon R5 8-bit 4K H.264 60 fps: 232.9 Mbits/sec IPB: plays fine.

Test videos from https://4kmedia.org/ with 10-bit HDR play fine.  (LG plays Dolby Vision fine, Samsung, of course, does not, but does play HDR10, 10+)

But:

Canon R5 PQ HDR 10-bit H.265 30 fps IPB 171 Mbits/sec:
Plays audio + black screen.

Canon R5 PQ HDR 10-bit H.265 60 fps IPB 340.9 Mbits/sec. Plays audio with black screen.

Canon log is the same.

The Samsung QLED won't play the Canon R5 10-bit files at all, not even audio.

Any ideas on what needs to be converted to make the HDR play on LG and Samsung TVs?

LG is on the latest Webos 5, updated yesterday.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow