Chilly morning hunting

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 1,459
Chilly morning hunting

It is the middle of Autumn in South East Queensland Australia.  It was 14 C at my back door yesterday as the sun was casting it's first light.  The sun had just reached the top of some of the taller trees.

With these conditions, a lot of insects don't want to move just yet.

Black soldier fly from America.  FAMILY STRATIOMYIDAE

Subfamily is Hermetiinae illucens

This is an extremely useful species of fly.  It only has a few days to live as an adult.  It has no mouth parts or guts and no sting.  It looks wasp like.

The larva are great for composting and reduce smell and eat larva from other species.  They are top food for things like chickens and are even used in dog and cat food.

Because it was cold and the fly didn't want to move, I was able to get some of the best shots I have ever been able to get of this nervous  fly.

This passion fruit also originates  in the Americas.

I have posted this in a larger file so you can see the dew drops on it.

The monster stalking the aphids is a lady bird beetle larva.  The aphids are breakfast.

the aphid with wings is the only female that can lay eggs that produce both male and female young.  The females that don't have wings produce clones of themself.  All the clones will be female.

All the grasses have flowers that follow this kind of pattern.

the seed of wild millet is a great food source for many insects and grazing animals.

On cold mornings, this species of fly can be found on tall grass.

They are very easy to approach and collect or kill.

I have a lot of wonderful pictures from early mornings.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow