AZ drought

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,947
Re: AZ drought

mfinley wrote:

GCam wrote:

I have often wondered why, with all the floods we have in Houston and in many places in the rest of the country, we do not have a system around the c9ountry similar to The California aqueduct system, where water is carried over the mountains, and one in the desert from the Colorado into southern California. I realize there would be a lot of environmental hazards to deal with, but it seems like a good idea to be included in the current infrastructure bill under consideration. Our reservoirs in Texas are down, and the Ogalalla Aquifer is way down as well, not to mention Lake Powell. Would put a lot of people back to work just as the CCC did back in the day, and the country would benefit. gc

Where would this water come from? Every drop in Colorado belongs to someone, up until a few years ago in Denver you couldn't even collect rainwater in a barrel because that rain belongs to somebody already. It took years of effort to get the law passed that you could collect rainwater in a barrel for use in your garden, and it's super highly regulated, only 2 barrels and no more than 110 gallons.

What a lot of people don't realize is that water spilled on the ground returns to the underground aquifers and is removed by wells. When you stop the water from hitting the ground you don't allow the aquifers to replenish.

Delph Carpenter and the 1922 river pact that gave away 80% of Colorado's water with the lion's share to California was the worst deal ever made.

For those interested I recommend Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner (1986/1993) for a history of the control of water in the West.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow