The MP race vs software interpolation

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Giovanni_1968
Giovanni_1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,284
The MP race vs software interpolation

Let's say the truth, who would trade a 36MP camera for a 12MP one? I still own some old gear like the Fuji S5Pro whose colours are still amazing, the D2Xs which also does very well but aside operating speed, small LCD etc why would I leave the D800 or D850 home in favour of one of those if not for the pure fun of it?

The MP race is not over, semi MF sensors reached 100MP, FF reached over 60MP and it won't stop I guess but since also post processing is advancing and I read great things about new interpolation engines from PhotoShop and Topaz do you think that, for an amateur, does more sense to interpolate than to grow in native MP count?

With MP also nose increases, physics, that's the sensor size so pixel become smaller and smaller so somehow noise got better but will reach a plateau so what is it going to happen, are they gonna keep increasing sensor density or what?

Oh well, this lockdown is giving voice to each and every thought, too much time to rumble...

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - 70% GAS affected
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D850 - Nikon D800 - Nikon D2Xs - Fuji S5Pro - Nikon F - Nikon F3
J.A. Michell Gyrodec - Audio Research SP-9 - Aeron AP-890 - JBL4311B - JBL L220
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Xs Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow