Filters for K-1 & D-FA 24-70: ring-type ND, or filter-system?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,099
Re: Filters for K-1 & D-FA 24-70: ring-type ND, or filter-system?

DavidB77 wrote:

For having used ring-type ND in the past, I will never use them anymore. With a 10-stop ND or even 6-stop, the camera cannot focus anymore and it’s a pain to remove the filter , focus, and screw it again each time you want to change focus point. Screw filters also tend to get stuck to the lens or to another filter. I broke my old Sigma 17-70mm trying to unscrew a stuck polarizer.

Now, I am using Kase K8 system with 11-18mm (which is 82mm filter size too) and it works great for the price. (Kase now have K9 which is better than K8). I purchased it to have a 82mm polarizing filter for my 11-18. The pola is OK but it seems to produce more glare than my old B+W 77mm filter.
The filter holder is not bad, but I have made by hand Lee filters that are difficult to fit in the holder because they are not always exactly 100mm, they can be 101mm and the Kase holder is too tight.

I would prefer the new Lee holder + pola, but its A LOT more expensive...

This NiSi gets around this problem by allowing the mount to rotate, not the polarizer as an FYI - its quite clever. You just press a dial and rotate the filter in mount, not touching the filter thread.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DgLpRPezFvY&feature=share

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Canon EOS R6 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow