blurry photo or not with the focus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,978
It's blurry.

Alexpassion wrote:

Hello, is this photo blurry or sharp? I try to have the blur and the sharpness in front of the subject what I take but is that the whole is blurry?

I have a nikon d7500 1.4 50 mm nikkor lens I took for this photo at 1.4 is it blurry?

Yes, it is mainly blurry: "out of focus blur", also known as "defocus blur". There is a plane of focus located some distance from the camera: objects before and after this plane are going to be progressively more blurry the farther they are from this plane.

The focus point appears to be on the subject's face, and so there is some sharper detail there. But even the in-focus detail isn't particularly sharp because that lens has a lot of optical aberrations when opened up all of the way. Adding some sharpening should help the in-focus parts look more noticeably crisper, but that won't help the defocused areas.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow