Unpopular opinion: the old AF motor lenses are fine, it’s Fuji’s AF system that needs improvement

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GabrielFFontes Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Unpopular opinion: the old AF motor lenses are fine, it’s Fuji’s AF system that needs improvement

Hi everyone.

I see a lot of talk about how the older lenses with the slower AF motors need refreshed versions, and that might be true, but IMO the biggest limiting factor right now is Fuji’s AF system in the camera bodies.

Having used several DSLR and mirrorless systems, I’ve had much better tracking performance with lenses that have even worse focus motors, but the body seemed to handle the tracking really well regardless. That’s true for some lenses for E-mount and a lot of older DSLR lenses that still track superbly on higher end Canon and Nikon cameras.

I think Fuji needs to put most of their efforts right now into improving the AF firmware and bringing it to par with the competition. Fuji’s AF works fine for a lot of uses, but using a newer Canon R6 or Sony’s A7c just shows how much improvement can still be achieved.

GabrielFFontes's gear list:GabrielFFontes's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Canon EOS R6 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow