Lightroom Classic loses files after folder is renamed

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Logan3-1639 Regular Member • Posts: 158
Lightroom Classic loses files after folder is renamed

I recently upgraded to Lightroom Classic, 10.2 Release, Build [202103041821-226a1211] for Mac OS (10.14.6).

When I import photos to Lightroom (to an external hard drive), it creates a folder named with the date, like this: 20210412. I usually rename the folder (in Lightroom, not in the Finder) with something more descriptive, just after the import is complete. For example, 20210412_family-photoshoot. After I perform this action, Lightroom loses the connection with the files in the newly renamed folder. A question mark appears on the folder in the Navigation panel, and in Loupe view, every individual photo thumbnail now displays a small exclamation mark in its upper right corner.

When I click on an exclamation mark, a dialog box appears, which states, for example, that "family-photoshoot-4851.DNG could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

I follow Lightroom's step-by-step process to "Locate" the missing file, but it doesn’t work, and Lightroom is confused. The files are not physically missing (I can see them in the Mac Finder), but Lightroom can't see them after I've renamed the folder.

The only way around this, in the current version of Lightroom, is to quit the application and re-launch Lightroom. After I relaunch Lightroom, it re-finds the files and the exclamation marks are gone.

I've been using Lightroom for many years, since as early as LR v 3, and I've never experienced this problem until the last two upgrades.

Anyone else having this problem?

-- hide signature --

Judging others does not define them... it defines you as a person who needs to judge.

Logan3-1639's gear list:Logan3-1639's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow