Camera advice for a TOTAL novice

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ConTheJedi New Member • Posts: 21
Camera advice for a TOTAL novice

Hi all,

I've wanted to get more serious about photography for a while now and recently decided to treat myself to a bridge camera to see how I get on - I've spent weeks trawling through reviews and forums, so have finally created an account to say thanks for all the brilliant advice posted on this site, and to ask one final question.

Having read plenty of forums already, I'm going to apologise in advance if this ignites yet another camera-war, but seeing as I'm posting this in the Panasonic section you can probably guess what I'm going to ask...  I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic DC-FZ82 and the Panasonic FZ330.  I know the FZ330 is the better of the two generally, but is the FZ82 still a suitable choice for a complete novice or is it really as bad as some of the comments on here suggest?

When I say "novice", I mean I've never touched a bridge / DSLR camera before in my life.  And thanks to a lucky combination of discounts and vouchers, I can pick-up a new FZ82 this weekend for around £140 instead of the current £299 RRP.  Obviously if I could do the same with the FZ330 I would, but it's not in stock - if I wait for it to return, I can still get a chunk discounted but it would set me back around £280 (RRP currently £429).

Reviews generally for the FZ82 are still good, so would it be worth biting the bullet now and getting a GREAT discount, or waiting for the better-reviewed FZ330 with a GOOD discount?  Remember, this is for someone who had to google what "Aperture" was a few weeks ago!

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to respond, and thanks again for a great website / forum - the advice and photos posted on here are great and really helped me commit to taking my first brave steps into the world of photography!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow