April in the lowland forest

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Re: April in the lowland forest

MightyMike wrote:

Wonderful photos, the 50mm F1.7 has Bokeh much like my Sigma 24mm F1.8 at close range. Those mites are impressive, they must be very big as the ones we have here barely offer detail even at 4:1 magnification.

Thank you for the kind words, Mike. I also have some vintage close focusing wide angle lenses made by Enna Munchen (24 and 28mm in M42 and K mount). Maybe I will try those next. I'm also looking at trying a macro lens with interesting nervous bokeh.

The velvet mites have a body length of about 3 mm and up to 4 mm when including appendages. These were the largest mites I found and actually both images above were cropped. I attached an uncropped, downscaled  frame and a 100% crop. I think I was at 1:1 magnification. The problem I had with these tiny beasts is that sometimes they moved very fast, so it was difficult to have them in focus exactly how I wanted.

The EXIF overlay shows 1/200 instead of the 1/180 s flash sync speed of the K-3 II.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow