Rock-climbing with a 400mm f/2.8?!?!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
Rock-climbing with a 400mm f/2.8?!?!

Do you go rock-climbing with a 400mm f/2.8?

I just saw the puff-piece on B&H Explora (undoubtedly produced by Canon) for three newly-announced RF-mount lenses -- and I'm speechless. There's a rock climber supported by a harness, hanging by ropes, and he's photographing fellow climbers with a full-frame mirrorless Canon sporting the new 400mm f/2.8!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/videos/photography/canon-adds-100mm-macro-and-400mm-and-600mm-super-teles-to-rf-lens-line

I'm not a rock climber, so I can't say for sure, but I find it hard to believe that any sane rock-climber would take that sort of a lens (weight, size, prime rather than zoom) with them on an ascent. Would any sane rock-climbing photographer think that subject isolation is so important that they'd bring a 400mm f/2.8? And either forego a telephoto zoom, or have this lens be additional weight?

If this is what real climbers do for a photo nowadays, all I can say is that it's crazier than I could ever have imagined. What's driving such behavior? Crazy capitalism making photographers desperate for an ever-more-unusual photo go to ever-more-extreme lengths? Camera companies inciting or paying their influencers to do it? I really think this has passed the threshold to be considered crazy.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow